Segway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having problem with changing from D to R or at all while the transmission is under resistance, for instance standing still in a hill, or on uneven ground.
I have to use force to change gear, or try to get the driveline free from load before changing gear.
It almost feels like i’m bending the gearstick.
When the driveline is without resistance it works properly.
The quad has to roll freely the last meter or so without any throttle to even make it possible to switch gear.
Does anyone else experienced the same?

6 Posts
I’m having problem with changing from D to R or at all while the transmission is under resistance, for instance standing still in a hill, or on uneven ground.
I have to use force to change gear, or try to get the driveline free from load before changing gear.
The quad has to roll freely the last meter or so without any throttle to even make it possible to switch gear.
I have a similar problem getting out of low, the lack of workshop manual does not make adjustment easy and I am hoping it is some4thign that they can fix when it goes for service as hopefully it is a warranty issue.

5 Posts
Same issue here. Bought mine in December and noticed the shifter was a bit hard to use from time to time. Today it's gone all together. Can't shift it at all. I've only been using it in low range and it's on a trailer now heading for the dealer in the morning. Love the look of the bike and it dose ride nice but I've got 20 hours on it and about 40km. Soon as it's fixed under warranty I'm trading it in. New ATVs should not be having this issue at 20 hours. This bike was a mistake and I'll definitely be going to a Cat or something else while this one had a bit of trade in value. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

1 Posts
This isn’t an issue with the Snarler, it’s common to all auto gearboxes on 4x4 quads. The solution is to knock it into Neutral to free the gearing and let it roll, and/or straighten the wheels to take strain off the diffs. Understanding the mechanics of the drivetrain will explain your issues.

I can hold mine in Park with 500kg of logs in a trailer on a slope, and move it into Low (Drive), provided that the wheels are straight, and drive away. The Snarler is an awesome workhorse.

5 Posts
Well actually I have a 2011 Arctic Cat 700 TRV Cruser with 8000km on it and never had this issue. Just an FYI the dealer called me today and told me the Primary Clutch was shot. So either it's just a one off or it's a potential clutch issue across the lot. Time will tell. Great that it's under warranty but not a nice feeling out of the gate. I'm on my 14th new ATV over 45 years so I'm not an expert but I'd say I've been at it a while. Like I said the Segway is one of the nicer looking bikes and time will tell. Also the Oil sensor light that comes on every second start. The technician told me he's after changing 20 of them all fairly new out the door. So another common issue to be aware of. Here's hoping just some bad luck....but if you are experiencing hard to very hard shifting issues this may or may not be the culprit.

6 Posts
This isn’t an issue with the Snarler, it’s common to all auto gearboxes on 4x4 quads. The solution is to knock it into Neutral to free the gearing and let it roll, and/or straighten the wheels to take strain off the diffs. Understanding the mechanics of the drivetrain will explain your issues.

I can hold mine in Park with 500kg of logs in a trailer on a slope, and move it into Low (Drive), provided that the wheels are straight, and drive away. The Snarler is an awesome workhorse.
I disagree, Since the gear arrangement is park-reverse-neutral-high-low and the gear gets stuck in low so it does not go into neutral what you suggest as a solution does not work. without moving the machine I can go from park to low and the lever will not disengage easily

5 Posts
I totally agree with you on that....most of the reports thus far are hard shifting. In my case it was so extreme that it resulted in the clutch failure. When the bike is shut off I can hold the foot brake and shift no at times. But when it's running it got so bad it was impossible. I'd have to shut down and try to shift....so at least we are seeing a common issue across these reports. With every product you get hit and miss issues. But in this regard I have a feeling there might be a faulty clutch problem. Hopefully Segway supply's new clutches from a different source.

5 Posts
Update on Segway Primary Clutch issues. According to the dealer where I bought my 570 Snarler. They have replaced 3 Primary Clutches due to failure and have an additional 4 on back order (mine included) to be replaced. Service adviser stated the Segway is aware of and acknowledge that there is a product defect. As such all new 2022 , 2023 models will be built using a different style CVT clutch I believe. So for anyone experiencing shifting issues I would advise that you have it looked at and replaced if it's found to be such. Hope this hel

6 Posts
Update on Segway Primary Clutch issues. According to the dealer where I bought my 570 Snarler. They have replaced 3 Primary Clutches due to failure and have an additional 4 on back order (mine included) to be replaced. Service adviser stated the Segway is aware of and acknowledge that there is a product defect. As such all new 2022 , 2023 models will be built using a different style CVT clutch I believe. So for anyone experiencing shifting issues I would advise that you have it looked at and replaced if it's found to be such. Hope this hel
Thank you for the update

5 Posts
is there any difference between 570 snarler and segway snarler 600gl because in documents mine is written as snarler 600gl.
Other than the actual engine size, I would believe they are much the same. Don't quote me on that for sure. My guess is it could be a different model for a different market, but maybe very similar to the 570 Snarler AT6.

3 Posts
Bought my Snarler 570 in april 2022 and I have also problems with the gearbox. The dealer said, all CVT has that problem. Just accelerate a bit, back or forward and then hit the break. then it should work. find a gap in the gear and it works.........he said.
Very hard to do that,, GRRR. drove 800km now I think I talk with the dealer again.

2018 can-am outlander XT 650 (abs) with mod's
7 Posts
As i work segway dealer. I have seen some do work better from production line the other's.. So maybe shifting problem has something do who assembly transmission unit..??? New owner should change oil sooner then first service? Or maybe i can try oil change if there is different result with new oil then stock oil...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts